The Church of the Nazarene in the West began with the organization in October 1895, of the Los Angeles First Church of the Nazarene under the leadership of Rev. Phineas F. Bresee and J. P. Widney with 135 charter members. In the following years a number of churches sprang into existence, reaching as far east as Chicago and as far north as Washington. This group united with the Association of Pentecostal Church of America in October, 1907, to form the Pentecostal Church of the Nazarene. At the time of union the Church of the Nazarene reported 48 congregations of 3,827 members.